I'm happy to announce that after three years of meetings, planning, construction, and a successful pilot program that concluded in 2019, the Rossborough Cyclocross Skills Course will become seasonally permanent starting August 2020! YGR has been working hard with the Fort Collins Parks Planning and Development Department and Parks Department in addition to many Fort Collins cycling community members to make this happen.
The course located in Rossborough Park at the intersection of Casa Grande and Dunbar will open every August and close in mid-December. We've made a few adjustments to the course to improve the user experience for both park users and riders alike. For riders, we'll be extending the length of the sandpit by 20 feet to the West and adding singletrack to the berm on the North end of the course. We will also make better use of the existing park elements such as culverts and berms. For other park users, we've made modifications that include relocating the barrier feature so that it does not interfere with the sledding hill at the northeast corner of the park, shifting the course route at the southwest corner of the park to provide more separation between the course route and informal picnicking under the shade trees and altering the course route at the top of the east stairs to reduce potential conflicts with park users on the dirt walking path.
Steve Stefko, Sendtown Bike Club (formally Ciclismo Youth Foundation) Mawson Lumber and Shadow Timbers LLC specifically were helpful in the design and construction of version one of the course. Version two will require some additional funding and manpower to design and build removable barriers and to extend the sandpit. Please stay tuned for details on how you can help.
Course information and features
Address: 1630 Casa Grande Blvd, Fort Collins, CO 80526
Eastside stairs: 24' long, 12 steps
Westside stairs: 24' long, 8 steps
Sandpit: 80' long, 10' wide, 14" deep, 55 tons of sand.
Barriers. 2 barriers adjustable at zero" 4", 6" 10" 12" and 16" (UCI reg)
We may also add a pole to practice one-handed sharp turns.
The following measures, implemented for the pilot season, will continue to be in effect:
• The course will be used as a skills training course; it will not be used for events, races, paid lessons or classes.
• Course signage will include: course use rules and guidelines, course closure information, use instructions at each course feature, and yield to pedestrians signs located periodically along the course.
• The course layout will not cross paved sidewalks or established dirt walking paths in the park.
• Painted lines on the turf will delineate the course route and will help other park users understand where cyclists are permitted to ride.
• The course layout will minimize interference with other park uses by establishing offsets between the course and features such as the basketball court, playground and paved sidewalks.
• The course will be inspected by Parks staff with regular maintenance visits twice a week.
• The course will be monitored for user conflicts and/or resource damage by Parks staff.
Course information, rules photos and video: http://yourgroupride.com/index.php/component/content/article/60-news-and-events/1467-rossborough-cyclocross-skills-course-information?Itemid=107
Fort Collins Parks Website: https://www.fcgov.com/parkplanning/cyclo-cross-pilot-project
Letter to neighbors: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-eXqeShuG97VRpTlSD4_HYAM_onhnsAv/view?usp=sharing