Alright friends, we're all entering some uncharted waters here and in an effort to keep the lights on, I'm rolling out a new voluntary, community-based support model here at YGR and I hope you consider making a contribution. Since the inception of the site, I have relied on small businesses for ad revenue and event promotion to pay the mortgage. With hopes of diversifying my income, I'm now looking to the NoCo Cycling community to support the site directly. The new model is similar to NPR's but without the totes
. Although, if this proves to be a success there may be totes and other YGR gear.
As you all know, Fort Collins is one of the premier cycling communities in the nation and is considered to have one of the most active grassroots racing scenes in the country. Over the past decade+, YGR has become an integral part of that scene. I started the site as a public service in 2008 with no plans of monetizing it. Now, informing, promoting, growing and protecting the FtC cycling scene is my full-time job and passion. As you know, the site is updated daily with fresh, local cycling news and original content such as Ride Reviews,10 Tracks, 20ish Questions and yearly team press releases. 11 years after it's inception, YGR has established itself as the primary source of information for Northern Colorado cyclists and has a massive, intelligent (for the most part), loyal and enthusiastic following.
Here is a quick list of contributions YGR and I make to the cycling community aside from just covering the news, events and providing original content.
- For 2020 I'm working in conjunction with Bike Fort Collins and Gale Bernhardt to convince CDOT, Larimer County and the City of Fort Collins to post regulatory signage advising drivers on how to safely share the road with cyclists. ie: '3 Feet to Pass', 'Bikes May Use Full Lane'.
- For the past several years, I've worked with the city of Fort Collins to develop a cyclocross skills course at Rossborough Park. If the pilot program is a success, the course will become seasonally permanent.
- Founding member of the 2013 USA Pro Cycling Challenge Stage 6 local organizing committee.
- Founding member of the US Grand Prix of Cyclocross New Belgium Cup local organizing committee.
- 2013 USA Pro Challenge Stage 6 Volunteer Coordinator.
- Advocate for safe cycling in Northern Colorado- Working closely with other community members and leaders in efforts to make Northern Colorado a safer place to ride.
- YGR is the marketing platform for New Belgium Short Track, City Streets Crits, and New Belgium Cyclocross. I help spread the word about those events and house flyers, photos, general information and results.
- YGR houses the all-inclusive Northern Colorado cycling calendar (races, rides, events and trail days).
- Race director for 3 different midweek grassroots time trials series.
- Ride organizer for the FREE Crazy Joe Cross series.
- Event organizer for the FREE RioSwap bike swap.
- Event organizer for numerous free cyclocross, time trial, MTB, criterium clinics and other cycling related seminars.
- I also administer the Wounded Rider Program, a 501c3 nonprofit to help local cyclists that have been injured while racing/training.
- First City Cycling Team manager. A 100+ member race team that contributes heavily to the local scene.
- YGR Facebook community forum.
If you appreciate the hustle that goes into YGR and have the means, please consider making a contribution.
(you will need to have a PayPal account and can use all major credit cards or PayPal funds) Please email info (at) yourgroupride.com for other payment options)